B.A (Hon) Degree in Music, Dartington College of Arts 1980
M.Mus. Degree in Electro-acoustic Composition, University of East Anglia 1997
Research into extended vocal techniques has taken her to Egypt, Kenya, Tanzania, Madagascar, (1987) Mongolia (1994) Kazakhstan, and Kyrgistan (1999).
I have taught extended voice techniques, composition and improvisation in many contexts:-
– Voice coach for Calling Tree an outdoor site specific performance training aerialist in singing and a community choir in performance. Choreographed by Rosemary Lee and Simon Whitehead for LIFT Festival London 2016
– Composer / Collaborator / Teacher for The Royal Shakespeare Company. Shakespeare’s The Two Gentlemen of Verona was performed in Portugese and English as part of The Complete Works Festival in Stratford upon Avon 2006. A collaboration between Brazilian company of young people, Nos Do Morro based in Rio de Jeneiro and Gallery 37 based in Birmingham. Sianed travelled to Brazil to work with the company alongside Cisely Berry in preparation for the project.
– Composer / Teacher for The Singing Squad a weekly singing / performance workshop for teenagers in Norwich. Sianed was commissioned to write songs for and with the group.
– as part of The Royal Shakespeare Company’s education team running workshops around the production of Shakespear’s Twelfth Night. The music was composed and performed for the 2005 season by Sianed Jones and John Wolf, directed by Michael Boyd.
– Composer / Improviser for Chapter 4 Dance Company working with a mix of professional, local dancers, young people and special needs dancers, to create a site specific project Falling Thoughts, Rising Secrets in Chapel field Gardens that was then performed in The Garage Norwich. 2005
– Soloist and teacher alongside Jon Baker and choir director Sian Croose in Bigger Sky’s community choir performance of ‘Letters to the World’. Settings of Emily Dickenson’s poems by composer Karen Wimhurst. Premiered at Norwich Cathedral during the Norwich and Norfolk Festival 2004
– Vocal tutor for the Access to Music course Norwich (2002 – 2004)
– Soloist and rehearsal teacher (alongside Sian Croose Conductor, and Jon Baker soloist / teacher) for Barbara Thomson’s ‘A Journey to a Destination Unknown’ settings of poetry by Rabindrath Tagore and Andrew Motion for a 100 strong community Choir ‘Big Sky’, performed at St Johns Smith Square London 2003
– Composer / Teacher for the Norwich and Norfolk Festival, young peoples Voice House project along with teachers / composers Sian Croose and Jon Baker (2002)
– part of the Community Music East teaching team based in Norwich (2001 – 2003)
– as a teacher working with technology and dance improvisation on the Liverpool International Festival of Dance and Improvisation. (2000)
– teaching music / technology on an computer based animation course for teenagers with Welfare State International. (2001)
– as a teacher and performer at the ‘In the Event of Text Ephemeralities of Writing’ Symposium in Utrecht Theatre School. (‘99)
– teaching on a free lance basis at the music department of the University of East Anglia and at the theatre department at Dartington College of Arts. (‘97 ‘98 ‘99)
– given a residency at Liverpool Institute of Performing Arts (‘97) with choreographer Paula Hampson to create a site specific performance with dance and music students and professional regional dancers.
– as a composer in residence on site specific projects with The Scottish National Youth Dance Summer School. (‘93 – ‘98)
– teaching on various courses through Community Music East based in Norwich (‘95 -’97) and with Suffolk Dance based in Ipswich.
– Composer / Musical Director and Teacher for The Company of Imagination – a multi-cultural-music-dance-visual-theatre- company, doing outdoor site specific projects with communities in both rural and urban environments.1989 – 1991 ‘The Landing of Arcadia’ and ‘Cycle of Birds’
– Vocal workshop teacher on the music course at Oval House in London (Director Eugeene Skeefe) ’87 – 94